The island is renowned for its numerous festivals, which take place in the church halls and the church courtyards all year round, in honour of the saints. They are considered a big event and gather all the inhabitants of the island as well as its visitors. Local dances, tunes and songs accompanied by the sound of the traditional Lyre and “Laouto” and the supply of free local food, sweets and wine, make the celebrations of Kasos both unique and popular.
A unique period is the big festival of Pera Panagia on the 15th August. During this festival many old customs are kept alive. For centuries, festivals, weddings and celebrations have been taking place with same traditions. Traditional foods from Kasos which have been prepared for all those celebrating are brought out to the sounds of the traditional Lyre of the Aegean and the “Laouto”, the steps of the “Sousta” and the “Zervou” and to the improvised songs and poems.
The main festivals of Kasos are those of St. Marina on the 17th of July and St. Spyridon on 12th of December. The feasts of Kasos have a promiment local character as both the music and dancing are performed by local musicians and dancers. On the 17th of June, the anniversary of the “Holocaust” is celebrated with great festivity each year.
The festivals of Kasos are those of:
- The Holy Trinity (a movable festival) in the village of Poli in June
- St. Marina 17th July in the village of Agia Marina
- The celebration of Christ 6th August in the village of Agia Marina
- Pera Panagias 15th August in the village of Panagia
- St. Fanourios 27th August in the village of Agia Marina
- St. Mama 2nd September (a monastery with traditional quest house)
- Panagia Elerou 8th September (a monastery with traditional “mitata” – shepherd’s huts where they make cheese and local dairy produce)
- The celebration of the Holy Cross 14th September in the village of Agia Marina.
- St. Dimitrios 26th October in the village of Arvanitohori
- St. George at Hadies (a monastery with small traditional rooms for people to stay) 3rd November and 23 April (movable festival)
- St. Spiridon 12th December in the village of Fri
- St. Konstandinos and Eleni 21st May
In addition the Municipality of Kasos organizes a yearly three-day event of festivities for the anniversary of the burning down of Kasos (7th June 1824).
Now a firm custom of the cultural events of the island is the concert by the world famous tenor Mario Frangoulis in August in the picturesque harbour of Mpoukas. This event attracts an audience from all over Greece. The famous singer comes from Kasos.